About Me

My photo
I am a retired RN with 50 years of experience. My experience spans ICU, ER, Telemetry, Administrative Supervision and Clinical Documentation Integrity. I grew up on a farm in Western Pennsylvania. I didn't have other children close by to play with, so animals became my friends. Although I love and enjoy all animals, cats have always been my favorite. I have lived in Southern California since 1980. My husband and I are coexisting with Fanny. She is the DIVA that inspired my book and this blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my feline friends. I also share some childhood memories which may spark some memories of your own.

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Your Cat's Dental Health

It is so important to remember not to ignore your cat's dental health.

Veterinarians say that cats can start showing signs of periodontal disease (gum disease) by the age of 3. And unless you are dedicated enough to brush your cat's teeth at home, periodontal disease will progress.

The key to management of gum disease is Prevention, Prevention, Prevention!!!!


Brushing should start when your cat  is young and more agreeable.  Older cats will most likely fight you.

So when you are starting your brushing routine, start by letting the young cat lick the toothpaste off your finger.  Let them get used to the taste.  Do not use human toothpaste for it may be harmful if swallowed.

I would stick to a soft brush made for cats. Or a finger brush.  Even then, make sure you are gentle and if the cat shows any signs of discomfort, stop, and make an appointment to see the Vet.

Special attention should be paid to the upper outer teeth (canines) since they do the most chewing.

Understand that it may take a couple weeks to get your cat used to the brushing routine. There are plenty of online videos to help you.

 There are oral rinses and gels but some cats do not like the taste of those.

In rare occasions special dental diets may be ordered by your Vet.  Remember: dental treats do not replace good oral care.

It is also very important to have yearly dental exams done by your Vet.  They can catch early signs of gum disease.  If necessary, anesthesia may be required to remove plaque and tartar as well as extracting decayed teeth.

Here's a site that lists approved dental foods and treats :

On a personal note; previously on this blog I wrote about our cat, Mutchka.  Mutchka was found when he was very, very tiny and malnourished.  He had been deprived of his mother's milk and due to the lack of calcium and other required nourishment as a baby, he had terrible teeth.  He had some early decay and other problems.  He had to have several teeth filled and a few pulled.

Would I do this again even though it was an unexpected expense? Yes!  I would.  Mutchka was otherwise healthy and lived to the age of 18.  A beautiful white cat with gorgeous blue eyes.

https://icatcare.org/advice/how-to-brush-your-cats-teeth/

No comments: