About Me

My photo
I am a retired RN with 50 years of experience. My experience spans ICU, ER, Telemetry, Administrative Supervision and Clinical Documentation Integrity. I grew up on a farm in Western Pennsylvania. I didn't have other children close by to play with, so animals became my friends. Although I love and enjoy all animals, cats have always been my favorite. I have lived in Southern California since 1980. My husband and I are coexisting with Fanny. She is the DIVA that inspired my book and this blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my feline friends. I also share some childhood memories which may spark some memories of your own.

Sunday, July 24, 2022

We Miss Our Beloved CC

   

I want to dedicate this post to our dear CC, who left us for Cat Heaven 2 years ago. I'd like to take you on a little journey of CC's life. First of all, CC stands for Crazy Cat (her official name). 

In July 1999, a coworker of mine found a stray kitten that was about 8 weeks old. She couldn't keep her because she already had several cats. She knew I was a cat lover and owner and offered the kitten to me. Also, one of our cats, Buddy, had recently died. She brought the kitten to meet me. I was smitten immediately. When I picked the kitten up, she got so excited and started climbing into my pocket and climbing all over me. I knew right then....she was mine.

After my coworker took CC to the Vet for her shots, she was given to me. When I got her home she immediately ate, used the litter box, and just made herself at home. Our other cat, Mutchka, was very shy and timid, but CC kept bugging him until they became friends.

 

        This is Mutchka

She was a "sucker"....loved to suck on our fingers and neck. Here she is sucking on my fingers. She did it more with me than with my husband.

And she loved boxes. The smaller the better. 

She was so precocious and inquisitive.

In 2004, we had another addition to our household. My husband found Fanny. She was covered in fleas and almost jumped into his arms as soon as she saw him. From that day on, Fanny has had a special bond with my husband.

By this time, CC was the QueenπŸ‘‘of our home and Mutchka was her royal subject. CC was not happy with the newcomer and hissed and growled. That didn't deter Fanny. She concentrated more on Mutchka than on CC.

Fanny realized that Mutchka was mentally challenged, so she watched out for him. They formed their own little friendship.

Mutchka died in 2007 at the age of 18. Fanny was laying by him when we found him. She didn't let her friend die alone.😿

Now it was just CC and Fanny. CC took a more assertive role. Fanny never made a sound or begged for food. CC was more vocal when she was hungry, so Fanny just ate when CC indicated it was time.πŸ••

By 2013, CC was becoming a little skittish and nervous. She didn't play with Fanny too much. It was like she just tolerated Fanny

But that year my husband contracted an unknown virus and was in ICU for a couple of weeks and spent a full month in the hospital. My niece from out of state came to spend time with me. She stayed at our apartment while I was at the hospital. CC was so confused and upset. Hubby and I were gone and this stranger was there. So CC started pooping on the bed. My niece had several occasions of having to wash the sheets and bedspread.

From then on, we started putting plastic or shower curtains on the beds and furniture when we were out.

About six months later, when hubby had fully recovered, we went away for a few days. We had someone come over twice a day to feed CC and Fanny. Of course, when we came home we found diarrhea on the bed. Thank goodness we had the plastic on. It was CC's way of expressing stress.

As time went on, CC started having some medical problems. She had frequent urinary tract infections caused by ecoli. I had to administer antibiotics each occurrence. That was not fun for either of us.

Fanny and CC began to sleep together. At first, Fanny gave CC space but then Fanny had to be touching CC when they slept.

By 2019, CC had Renal Disease. We had her on a special, prescription Renal Diet and routinely had her blood work checked.

She drank a lot of water and we had to make sure she was peeing. 

When she'd become dehydrated, we had to visit the Vet for subcutaneous fluid infusions.

CC's fur was becoming dry and it matted if she wasn't brushed often.

Fanny still wanted to play. Every night she would initiate a staring contest and CC would just sit there. Fanny wanted more response so she would start tapping CC on the head. She'd keep tapping until CC would take a swipe and knock Fanny over. Game over.

They also played together with the same toy mouse. But at night, while Fanny slept (and we tried to sleep), CC would carry the mouse around and make all kinds of loud, strange noises and howling. She stayed awake most of the night. I got very little sleep as well.

By the end of 2019, she had advanced to Renal Failure. Her personality was changing. She wanted constant attention. Her appetite was enormous but she kept losing weight. 


Into 2020 we were making frequent trips to see the Vet due to dehydration caused by vomiting and bouts of diarrhea.

Whenever I laid down, she needed to be on my chest, with her head nestled under my chin, nibbling at my neck or licking my face. She had to be near me all the time.

Almost every hour, CC could be found begging near her food dish. We had to be careful that Fanny wasn't overeating.

She got weaker and weaker. She was so fragile that I felt like I was going to break her when I held her.

And finally, the Vet and I had a discussion about quality of life. The decision was made to put her to sleep.

On July 25th, 2020, I held our dear CC while the Vet administered the injection and she peacefully went to sleep. She was 21 years old.



We miss you, CC πŸ’”



Many thanks to Western Veterinarian Group of Torrance, California


Hug your pets.
Darlene



No comments: