About Me

My photo
I am a retired RN with 50 years of experience. My experience spans ICU, ER, Telemetry, Administrative Supervision and Clinical Documentation Integrity. I grew up on a farm in Western Pennsylvania. I didn't have other children close by to play with, so animals became my friends. Although I love and enjoy all animals, cats have always been my favorite. I have lived in Southern California since 1980. My husband and I are coexisting with Fanny. She is the DIVA that inspired my book and this blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my feline friends. I also share some childhood memories which may spark some memories of your own.

Saturday, December 4, 2021

How To Build Steps For Your Elderly Cat

 

Well today is Fanny's 17th birthday!!!!!

One thing we have to remember, as our fur babies get older, is that they can get arthritic just like us.  You may notice they avoid jumping up on objects.  Or they seem stiff when getting up from a long nap.
We have a high bed that Fanny can not get up on by herself.  She tries but it is difficult and sometimes she doesn't quite make it. (Thud!)

I decided she needed steps so she could sleep on her favorite corner of the bed. I looked on Amazon and they were priced from $30-$185.  

I thought about it and decided I didn't want to spend the money.  Instead I thought about the many empty boxes I had in the garage. Why couldn't I try to build my own.

Here's what I did. 
First I found various sized boxes. If they are empty they may not handle your cats weight.  I overstuffed the boxes with my "hoarded" plastic bags from the grocery store. I used packaging tape to seal them.

I had some black cloth I had been saving for some reason. Hmmm. I found a purpose for it.

I also had some "Grip" shelf liner. I covered the black cloth with the liner.  I figured the that would provide good footing for her so she wouldn't slip. 

I just secured everything I did with some tape (to the bottom of the boxes) but you could use a glue gun or staple gun.  Whatever you find is easiest.  Just make sure everything is secure and doesn't slide.

Fanny's first time using the new steps. She did not hesitate.

He we go. Step two and three. No problem so far. I think she likes it.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!
After I took this photo she actually went up and down the steps a few more times like she was really enjoying her new found freedom. She doesn't have to cry and beg to be picked up and placed on the bed. 


I know, I know.  It doesn't look professional.  Of course it doesn't.  I'm not a professional cat steps builder.  But if you want to save money, I hope this gives you somes ideas.


Please share and/or leave a comment.  I'd love to hear if you have come up with any ideas to save money on cat supplies, etc.

And don't forget to go to my Facebook Author Page and check out Fanny's book.

https://www.facebook.com/DarlenesBookshelf


No comments: