About Me

My photo
I am a retired RN with 50 years of experience. My experience spans ICU, ER, Telemetry, Administrative Supervision and Clinical Documentation Integrity. I grew up on a farm in Western Pennsylvania. I didn't have other children close by to play with, so animals became my friends. Although I love and enjoy all animals, cats have always been my favorite. I have lived in Southern California since 1980. My husband and I are coexisting with Fanny. She is the DIVA that inspired my book and this blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my feline friends. I also share some childhood memories which may spark some memories of your own.

Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Fanny Update

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to give you a quick update.

Fanny appears to be in less pain but her back legs are very weak. She takes only a few steps and then seems to collapse. She ends up lying in the middle of walkways (see photo above)  so we have to be very careful not to step on her. We can't chance tripping over her either... at our age. But not going to discuss our age at this time. 🤣 Let's just say our bones are old. 👫

She has good days and bad days. On good days she looks alert, drinks plenty of water, and wants to be around my husband a lot.

On bad days she looks sad, listless,
 and just lays in her bed in the closet or by her water fountain. She doesn't interact with us as much.

Cats hide their pain so I give her the pain medication (Buprenex) when she acts like this, especially if I see her struggling to stand. She's still on Gabapentin every 12 hours. Also, I give her Lactulose to soften her stool and avoid straining. I only give her about 1/4 the prescribed dose because the full dose (or half dose) gives her belly cramps.

Last week she had one really good day. She responded to catnip and played with her toys. But she remained laying down during the entire play session.


Since that day she is no longer interested in the catnip.

Interestingly, she does communicate with me. She cries when she needs me to do something for her. Like, "take me to the litter box" or "can you bring me some food?" (Room Service)

She does use her steps to get up on the bed most of the time. And if we leave her on the bed we are confident she will use the steps to get down and not try to jump down and possibly hurt herself.

Well, that is my update for today.


Remember: Hug your pet...show them some love❤

Darlene




 

No comments: