About Me

My photo
I am a retired RN with 50 years of experience. My experience spans ICU, ER, Telemetry, Administrative Supervision and Clinical Documentation Integrity. I grew up on a farm in Western Pennsylvania. I didn't have other children close by to play with, so animals became my friends. Although I love and enjoy all animals, cats have always been my favorite. I have lived in Southern California since 1980. My husband and I are coexisting with Fanny. She is the DIVA that inspired my book and this blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my feline friends. I also share some childhood memories which may spark some memories of your own.

Thursday, September 1, 2022

Decrease Your Pets Stress During Vet Visits

Here is a great article addressing how to decrease the stress on your pet when you take them to visit the Veterinarian.

https://www.timesonline.com/story/lifestyle/pets/2022/06/13/maro-decrease-your-pets-stress-during-veterinary-visits-beaver-lawrence-county/65360073007/


 Luckily, Fanny doesn't seem to mind going to the Vet. She has been going to the same office her entire life (17+ years). Even though the actual Vets have come and gone, she recognizes the atmosphere and seems quite comfortable. 

Everyone there uses a calm and friendly voice. They practice minimal-stress handling which Fanny and I both appreciate.

It makes a difference that they place a nice soft towel or blanket on the examining table instead of having the cat lay on a cold, bare table.

Good girl

You may not have a cat, but the article may give you tips for your dog or other small pet.

Personally, I make sure there is something soft in her carrier for her to lay on. And as I have mentioned before, calming (Pheromone) collars are good, too. If you don't usually use a Pheromone collar on your cat, I suggest you put one on a few days before their scheduled visit so they get used to it and they won't stress as much on the day of the visit.

I'm sure a lot of you have your own tricks that you use on "Vet Days".  Would love to hear them. You can leave comments here on the blog or you can contact me on my Facebook Page.

Here's wishing you and your pets a happy and safe Labor Day.

Darlene


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhh! 🧐 you are so smart! Can’t count how many times we took our pups to the vet and they slid around on that cold table. I feel like the world’s worst dog mom! Fanny is so lucky to have you guys - she sure knew what she was doing when she picked you! ❤️