About Me

My photo
I am a retired RN with 50 years of experience. My experience spans ICU, ER, Telemetry, Administrative Supervision and Clinical Documentation Integrity. I grew up on a farm in Western Pennsylvania. I didn't have other children close by to play with, so animals became my friends. Although I love and enjoy all animals, cats have always been my favorite. I have lived in Southern California since 1980. My husband and I are coexisting with Fanny. She is the DIVA that inspired my book and this blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my feline friends. I also share some childhood memories which may spark some memories of your own.

Sunday, May 9, 2021

My Tractor

When I was a little girl in the 1950's my dad bought me this little pedal tractor.  I loved it.  We lived on a farm so it was natural that I would want to have a tractor like my dad.

It was very hard to drive it outside on grass and we didn't have paved roads so I drove it in our cellar.  It was a big cellar with plenty of room for me spend hours pedalling away.  I could ride it summer or winter.  It didn't matter.

My dad used to tease me that I was speeding and the police would come and give me a ticket.  I was too young to realize that was improbable since there was only one policeman/police chief and he worked shifts in the mill. When he was unavailable we would have to call the County Sheriff and their response usually took hours.  So I guess I was safe to go over the speed limit.  I was fearless.

Years later, in the early 70's, my niece discovered the need for speed.  She followed in her aunt's footsteps and took to the road (I mean cellar).
After my niece got older, my dad placed the tractor in storage.

A few years ago I discovered that my niece, who now lives in Georgia, has our beloved tractor. She sent me the photos and it brought back such great memories.  

It shows some wear and tear but that's only because we spent so much time on it.  We got lots of exercise due to that precious tractor.

My niece recently said she can't see herself parting with it.  I can understand.  I'm so glad it's still in our family.

Does anyone out there have a toy that has been handed down from generation to generation?  Would love to hear your stories.

 



No comments: