About Me

My photo
I am a retired RN with 50 years of experience. My experience spans ICU, ER, Telemetry, Administrative Supervision and Clinical Documentation Integrity. I grew up on a farm in Western Pennsylvania. I didn't have other children close by to play with, so animals became my friends. Although I love and enjoy all animals, cats have always been my favorite. I have lived in Southern California since 1980. My husband and I are coexisting with Fanny. She is the DIVA that inspired my book and this blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my feline friends. I also share some childhood memories which may spark some memories of your own.

Saturday, May 7, 2022

Fanny Can't Walk!

Poor Fanny. All of a sudden yesterday, Fanny couldn't walk. She would try to walk a few steps and then flop down because of pain. And she cried in pain when I picked her up.

If you remember from one of my previous posts, I built her steps so she could get up on our bed. We knew she was having trouble jumping. In fact, she had quit jumping altogether.


I had to bring her litter box, food, and water into the bedroom so we could keep an eye on her and help her. She would eat lying down or sitting. Couldn't stand. Had to lift her in and out of the litter box.

She spent the night in her bed in the closet. When cats don't feel good, they like to be alone. They isolate themselves.

So this morning we went to the Veterinarian to get her checked. Western Veterinarian Group in Torrance, California is always great with her.

Her weight is stable. That's important. You have to watch for weight loss in cats with kidney disease. She weighs 9.6 pounds.

They gave her a little sedation so x-rays could be done. This view was taken with her on her back. The lower part of her spine shows arthritis. Loss of space between the last vertebrae.
 Very tender to touch.


This view shows her right leg. There is what looks like a shadow around the tarsal (comparable to our knee). It is soft tissue swelling and inflammation. 

She was given liquid Gabapentin (Neurontin) for pain. I can give it to her every 12-24 hours. We also have to give her Onsior (an anti-inflammatory med)

The Vet and I discussed that there is not much else that can be done due to her age (17 1/2) and her kidney disease. She is going to call me in a few days with the final reading of the Xrays by the radiologist. 

But for now, the goal is to keep her as comfortable as possible and continue with her renal diet.

Here is hubby welcoming Fanny home. They are very close buddies.

I'll have to keep all her stuff in our bedroom for a while so we can help her when needed. 

It's tough when your pet ages and develops age-related issues. It's extremely important to trust your Veterinarian and be able to have those difficult discussions with them.

That's it for now. 

I'll update everyone on Fanny's journey soon.

Give your pets a big hug!

Darlene

No comments: